Were you one of the 15,000 visitors who explored the Port of Antwerp dome during SuperNova? If so, you were treated to a unique sneak preview of the port of the future…
It was hard to miss – the floating pavilion positioned at the heart of the Bonaparte Dock. Inside, through an impressive 360° film projection, you had the opportunity to acquaint yourself with the port of the future and the futuristic projects taking shape there. It beautifully completed the circle, offering a forward-looking gaze onto the waters of Antwerp’s first and oldest dock.
And it doesn’t stop at promising conceptual videos alone. We are actively experimenting with data and new technologies to create relevant tools – for the port, its visitors, and the thousands who work there. During SuperNova, we provided a sneak peek of APICA, a concept that gives the port a virtual brain and a face.
APICA is the digital counterpart of the harbor, an intelligent digital assistant in the broadest sense of the term.
And APICA caught the immediate attention of the international trend bureau, Gartner. They referenced the Antwerp Port of the Future as an illustration of the rise of digital twins during their symposium in Barcelona (November 2018).
Gartner is a well-known global research and advisory firm that provides information, analysis, and advice on various technology and business-related topics. They are particularly renowned for their insights into emerging trends, market analysis, and assessments of various industries. Gartner’s research and reports often have a significant influence on business decisions, technology strategies, and industry developments. Their symposiums and conferences attract professionals from around the world seeking insights into the latest trends and innovations in technology and business.
More about APICA
- Antwerp Port ExperienceExploring the Port of Antwerp with Virtual Guides Both the Port House and the MAS Haven Pavilion proudly display impressive satellite images of the Port of Antwerp. Thanks … Read more
- Port of the FutureWere you one of the 15,000 visitors who explored the Port of Antwerp dome during SuperNova? If so, you were treated to a unique sneak preview of the … Read more
- Digital Twin – BoekenbeursThe Port of Antwerp does not take its role as a partner of the Book Fair lightly. At its booth, it presents a public version of the Digital … Read more
- APICAAPICA is short for “Antwerp Port Information & Control Assistant” and takes you 10 years into the future of a world-leading port. It envisions a time where the … Read more
- APICA FUTURE CONCEPT BOOKTake a closer look at how we believe the port will one day evolve into a Living Digital Entity.
- APICA – Digital Twin“Hello, I am APICA, your virtual assistant. Welcome to the port of Antwerp-Bruges. It will be a sunny day, with a light breeze from the north-west. There are … Read more
- APICA wins ICT/Digital Project of the Year 2022Very proud to announce that APICA won the ICT/Digital Project of the Year 2022 Award (Link in Dutch)
- MetaPort VRThe primary aim of this project was to explore and understand the capabilities of the metaverse in facilitating virtual tours within the Port of Antwerpen Bruges. Central to … Read more