Step into a beautiful virtual reality about the ugly future we face
without pollinating insects
Albert Einstein allegedly once stated that without insects, mankind would survive for four years at best. A dramatic statement, but unfortunately, a very realistic one. Bees, bumblebees, hoverflies and other tiny species play a crucial role in securing the future of vital ecosystems and the survival of mankind. An important message to get across -especially on World Bee Day (May 20th)– and through the powerful medium of virtual reality.
Pollinator Park = a virtual wake-up call about the importance of pollinators
Europe 2050 – Following a cascade of ecological crises, our world has been deprived of healthy ecosystems and wealthy flora. Amidst this dystopian landscape lies a lavish green beacon of hope: Dr. Beatrice Kukac’s Pollinator Park -a futuristic farm, a safe haven for pollinating insects and an eye-opener for its visitors.
Watch the Pollinator Park trailer.
Pollinator Park is a crossover between a zoo, theme park, an interactive museum and a crystal ball: fun, educational and emotionally engaging. As a park visitor in 2050, unravel the story of its founder Beatrice Kukac, try your hand at pollination, shop for groceries in a pollinator-deprived world, rediscover nature’s perfection and find out how you can help protect it in the real world.
A European Commission initiative, Pollinator Park was created by Poppins & Wayne, a cross-disciplinary team of scientists, writers, creative technologists, artists and designed in collaboration with renowned ‘archiobiotect’ Vincent Callebaut.
For scientific consultancy and in-situ implementation, the Commission teamed up with museumpartners Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences (BE), Naturalis Biodiversity Center (NL) and Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona (ES).
Pollinator Park = available in 5 languages, in VR and in-browser
Aiming both for maximum immersion and maximus audience reach, Pollinator Park can be experienced in VR (Oculus Quest 1 and 2 + Oculus Rift) as well as in-browser (Chrome, Edge en Firefox). While initially launched only in English, World Bee Day marks the launch of 4 additional languages – Dutch, German, French and Spanish.
The role of Pollinator Park in the European Commission’s efforts regarding biodiversity
As part of the EU Pollinators Initiative Pollinator Park focuses on awareness, community engagement and collaborations around wild pollinators and biodiversity. Supporting the European Green Deal efforts, it aims to shed a spotlight on urgent ecological crises and to contribute to an ambitious global agreement during the upcoming Convention on Biological Diversity (CoP 15) later this year.
Oculus Quest Experience:
Oculus Rift Experience:
PC/Mac in-browser Experience:
Concept & creation: Poppins & Wayne
Project owner: European Commission
Architecture: Vincent Callebaut Architectures
Concept art: Bart Lommelen
Music: Stijn Cole
Produced by: Cousteau Studio & ESN
For additional information on the web & VR-experience, visual assets or interviews, please contact:
Poppins & Wayne
+32 476 21 09 66
More about Pollinator Park
- Pollinator ParkWhat does it take for mankind to start caring for animal species on the verge of extinction? Actual extinction? Or… a virtual wake-up call? Hoping for the latter … Read more
- Pollinator Park – Virtual Launch ShowMarch 23rd 2021 – Today is the official launch of Pollinator Park. We’ve been working on this beautiful project for the past 18 months. Our journey started pre-covid … Read more
- The Story of Beatrice KukacHow one woman’s passion project became a beacon of hope in a pollinator-deprived world.
- The Concept Art of Pollinator ParkWith a few diagrams and sketches, and a bunch of mood board images we reached out to Bart Lommelen (Fixion) to start shaping the visual atmosphere of Pollinator … Read more
- The Architecture of Pollinator ParkDuring our concept phase we had created various mood boards to define a look and feel for Pollinator Park. In several of them the work of Vincent Callebaut … Read more
- Press Release – World Bee DayPollinator Park Step into a beautiful virtual reality about the ugly future we face without pollinating insects Albert Einstein allegedly once stated that without insects, mankind would survive for … Read more
- Belgian Game Awards 2021Proud to announce that Pollinator Park is Winner in the category Best non-entertainment title of the year.
- Een wereld van verschil…Hoe zal de aarde eruitzien zonder wilde bijen en andere bestuivers? In de achtdelige online videoreeks ‘Een wereld van verschil’ stellen maatschappelijk geëngageerde kunstenaars en creatievelingen hun inspirerende … Read more
- Host Pollinator Park at your eventYou would like to feature Pollinator Park at your event, but don’t know where to start? Most users don’t know this, but there is a special event version … Read more
- Belgian games giving players a conscienceFeatured in Trends magazine…(Dutch) “Wij maken er een erezaak van om games te ontwikkelen die een statement maken en meer zijn dan enkel entertainment. Dat deden we al … Read more